Formerly a partner of Brookfields Lawyers based at Manukau, Janice has over 25 years of experience in assisting clients with family and relationship law issues. She is an expert in family law and is well known to the South Auckland and South East Auckland regions for her community work in this area of the law.
Janice was admitted to the Bar in 1988 and since then has practiced principally in family law for her former firm. She has specialised in child law and relationship property resolving those intricate and delicate issues either by way of agreement or litigation.
A burgeoning area in family law is that of pre-nuptial agreements or contracting out agreements for those couples entering into subsequent relationships. She is very well equipped in this area of family law to advise you on your rights.
Janice is also a member of the Lawyer for Child Panel which involves representing children in Court proceedings.
She has presented papers and seminars on aspects of the Domestic Violence Act and relationship property law including a Lexis Nexis seminar on relationship property agreements in 2013.
- Winner – New Zealand Lawyer Family Law Award in 2008 and 2010 for excellence in client service.
- Finalist for the New Zealand Lawyer Family Law Award in 2009.
- New Zealand Law Society member
- Auckland District Law Society member
- Venus Network
Areas of focus:
- Relationship property which may involve trusts
- Separation agreements
- Contracting out agreements
- Care arrangements for children
- Representing parties; or
- Court appointed lawyer for child
- Domestic violence
Working with me is my Legal Executive Serena Hiku, her areas of focus are:
- Domestic violence
- Protection orders
- Occupation & tenancy orders
- Furniture orders
- Urgent applications under the Care of Children Act – including Warrants and Orders Preventing Removal of Children from New Zealand
- Dissolution of marriage
I have worked as a Legal Executive in the area of family law for many years specialising in applications under the Domestic Violence Act. I was previously employed at Brookfields Lawyers for 18 years. Most of that time was in the Family Law Team.
I am a member of the Safer Aotearoa Family Violence Prevention Network (“SAFVPN”) and am actively involved in White Ribbon Day each year. I also work closely with women’s refuges.
I enjoy working with people from different backgrounds and can provide a helpful, discreet and sympathetic service in a prompt and efficient manner. I am also able to help people apply for legal aid who meet the criteria .